Pre-arrival checklist

Find your campus location

1. Make sure you read the first paragraph of the official acceptance letter to look for your campus location. You must arrive in the correct airport. 
YXT (Terrace) ; YPR (Prince Rupert); YYD (Smithers)

Immigration (Study permit/Visa)

2. To study in Canada, you must apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. You are highly encouraged to apply for a study permit as soon as you receive your acceptance letter from the college. 

General information for study permits is here. To find out more about study permit application click here

3. Depending on student’s passport nationality, student may need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV; also known as visitor visa) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to be eligible to enter Canada legally. 

Click here to find out if you need a TRV, eTA or not. If your study permit application is approved, your TRV or eTA will be issued automatically. You do not need to apply separately. 

For more information on Canadian immigration, please refer to IRCC website.  

After study permit gets approved

4. Email a scanned copy of your your study permit or POE Letter of Introduction (also known as your study permit approval letter to (include your CMTN student number) as soon as you receive it. Your study permit or study permit approval letter (also known as your POE Letter of introduction) issued by the Canadian Immigration, IRCC. TRV is a sticker-like immigration document pasted on your passport. 

If you do not send us a copy of  your study permit or POE Letter of Introduction, you are unable to register your first term courses or apply for on-campus housing

Book your flight 

5. Book your air ticket only if your study permit application is approved. Do not book while you are waiting for the decision from IRCC (Canadian Immigration). Your study permit might be denied. 

The best time to arrive is five to seven days before the program starts. Your temporary health insurance (Guardme) coverage will only start up to seven days before your program start date. 

6. You can email us at to request a full refund of your tuition deposit if your study permit is denied. A proof of denial notice from IRCC is required. Alternatively, you can request to defer to the next opening (available) intake.  

Check out our International Student Handbook [PDF] for more information