*Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and up to date forms**
Coast Mountain College requires applicants in select programs to successfully complete the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General Consent to a Criminal Record Check Form.
Criminal Records Checks (CRC) are required for admission to select programs to ensure it is appropriate for the student to participate in practicum components or to be in contact with children and vulnerable populations. This includes programs that are run in a setting off-campus. CRC's may be governed by external bodies and may be updated as mandated, without notice.
This page will guide you through the process for submitting your Criminal Record Check:
Please note the following information:
- Completion of a CRC is required before acceptance, depending on the program. The presence of certain crimes on the record may prevent practicum placement, graduation and subsequent employment in the field of study.
- International students applying to these programs will be required to provide a Police Certificate from their home country, in addition to the British Columbian Provincial or Canadian Federal Criminal Record Review. Any police certificates not in English must be accompanied by a notarized translation.
All completed CRC forms must be returned in person by the applicant to a CMTN campus. Applicants must not submit forms directly to the Ministry.
Be sure to complete the following steps when filling out the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General Consent to a Criminal Record Form:
1. Section 1 - For Authorized Contact Use
Do not complete - for Coast Mountain College Use
2. Section 2 - For Employee/Applicant Use
Fully complete Section 2. Complete all checklist items and read thoroughly and acknowledge your consent by checking the boxes.
3. Part 1 - Applicant Information
Fully complete Part 1 – Applicant Information. Note: Part 2-4 are already complete.
4. Part 5 - Consent for Release of Information and Acknowledgements
Sign and date Part 5.
Return your form in person to any CMTN campus location with two pieces of ID (one primary and once secondary - see below list.)
Staff will photocopy both front and back of ID, date stamp and sign it to confirm originals were seen.
The cost is $28 and can be paid by credit card, debit, cash, cheque, money order or bank draft.
Allow up to 6 weeks for processing.
Primary and secondary ID's required
- BC Driver's Licence and Services card (combined card)
- BC Services card (photo card)
- BC Identification card (BCID)
- Canadian driver's licence
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) issued by Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC)
- Original citizenship papers or immigration documents — these include: Record of Landing (IMM1000), Sponsorship Undertaking: Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292), Permanent Resident Card, Canadian Citizenship Certificate (after February 1, 2012), and a refugee protection claim or Temporary Resident Permit (IMM1442). See note below.
- Canadian Citizenship Certificate issued prior to February 1, 2012 (wallet sized card issued and includes photo)
- Offender identification card issued by Correctional Service Canada
- BC Services card (non-photo card)
- Birth certificate
- Citizenship papers or immigration documents (without photo)
- Credit cards
- BC CareCard
- Older versions of the Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) issued by AANDC (Laminated Certificate of Indian Status, Certificate of Indian Status "All-in-One," or Certificate of Indian Status "Pilot Project")
- Other documents that, by themselves or in conjunction with other documents, would be considered acceptable identification for cheque cashing purposes at banks or other financial institutions
Submissions outside the region
For students outside the CMTN college region that cannot bring this form to campus:
- Complete the form and email to: email@example.com
- Photocopy 2 pieces of acceptable ID: FRONT and BACK of the ID and attach to email
- Include a phone number you can be reached at and registration staff will contact you once they have received the completed form and ID to collect the $28 fee.
- Payment over the phone must be made by credit card (visa debit cards not accepted over the phone)
- Completed forms and copied ID can also be mailed to: ATTN ADMISSIONS, 5331 McConnell Avenue, Terrace BC V8G 4X2 with a check, money order or bank draft for $28
- Criminal record checks will not be submitted to the Ministry for processing until the $28 payment has been received. This criminal record check is required for admission into the program and those students that do not complete this step will not be able to attend clinical.
- Make sure that you bring 2 pieces of ID when you arrive on campus for verification on the first day of class
A full list of reviewable offences reviewed during a Type B Criminal Record Check can be viewed at the Ministry of Justice.
Sharing CRC results
You may share a previously completed criminal record check if you have completed a CRC in the last five years through the Ministry of Justice Criminal Records Review program. Note: a criminal record check is considered complete once the result has been issued to an organization. The check must be the same type of check to be acceptable.
To share CRC's with Coast Mountain College, please request a sharing of information form from firstname.lastname@example.org and return it to any CMTN campus along with two pieces of ID (see above)
If you have any concerns with your CRC please contact your Admissions Officer or the Dean/Program Coordinator of your program.
Programs that currently require a Criminal Record Check include but are not limited to: