Study permits

Study permit processing can take as little as a few weeks or as long as many months. To ensure your international study experience gets off to a smooth start, be sure to apply for your Canadian study permit as soon as you receive your Letter of Acceptance and your Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) from CMTN.

Click here to start with your Canadian study permit application.

Note that you will need your official Letter of Acceptance, not the conditional qualified admission letter, to apply for a study permit.

In most cases, you must apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. Some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada, and in some cases, people can apply upon arrival in a Canadian port of entry. Make sure you understand which option is available to you.

Documents required for study permit application

Proof of AcceptanceYour designated learning institution (DLI) must issue a Letter of Acceptance, pending completion of your college application requirements. Include either the original or electronic copy of this letter in your application.
*new Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)Obtain a PAL from the province or territory where you intend to study. For CMTN, this will be the province of British Columbia. Your PAL will be given to you by CMTN along with your Letter of Acceptance. This letter should be dated after January 22, 2024.
Other DocumentsSubmit as many of the required documents as possible to ensure a complete application. Click here to review the full list.
Letter of Explanation (if applicable)If any documents are missing due to COVID-19, provide a letter explaining the circumstances.


Remember that timely submission of documents is crucial to avoid processing delays.


If your study permit application has been approved after applying from outside Canada

You will receive a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction issued by IRCC, which confirms your permission to study in Canada. Note that this letter is not your actual study permit.

IRCC will also send you either an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a temporary resident visa (TRV) if you require it. Students from certain countries need either an eTA or a TRV to enter Canada. Click here to find out if this applies to you.

  • If you live in a country that requires you to have an eTA, the POE Letter of Introduction will contain relevant information about it. Your eTA will be linked to your passport and remains valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. Remember to travel with the passport you used during your study permit application.
  • If you live in a country that requires for you to have a TRV to enter Canada, the visa will be stamped directly onto your passport. It will indicate whether you can enter Canada once or multiple times. You must arrive in Canada before the visa's expiration date.

Present your POE Letter of Introduction upon arrival to a Border Services officer.

Remember to adhere to these guidelines to facilitate a smooth entry into Canada!  

Study Direct Stream (for specific countries)

The Study Direct Stream (SDS) receives priority processing in study permit applications (within 20 calendar days in most cases); however, there are additional eligibility requirements when compared to the regular study permit pathway. The SDS option is currently only available to specific countries listed on the Government of Canada website. Students from the countries listed under the Study Direct Stream (SDS) have the option to apply via SDS or the regular study permit stream.

To apply for a study permit under the SDS, you need to complete the following:

  • Apply to CMTN for your program of choice. Learn more about our application process for International applicants. To view the Study Direct Stream language requirements, please go to the IRCC website
  • CMTN will email you to request your full first-year tuition deposit, which is non-refundable. The Study Direct Stream first-year tuition deposit is your first-year program fee (depending on your program of choice).
  • After your full first-year tuition deposit has been received, CMTN will issue you a Letter of Acceptance. You can then apply for a Canadian study permit through the SDS on the IRCC website. Visit the Government of Canada – Study Direct Stream page to learn more about the requirements and how to request your permit. As of January 1, 2024, The SDS requires that your Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) must amount to $20,635 CAD for a fixed period of time as proof of ability to self-support upon your arrival in Canada.
  • *new As of January 22, 2024, most students must include a PAL from the province or territory where they plan to study with their study permit application.
  • Once IRCC approves your study permit and sends you your POE Letter of Introduction, be sure to email a copy of this letter to with the subject “Study Permit” and your CMTN student number. 

Study permit approval

You are required to send a scanned copy of your POE Letter of Introduction to CMTN to as soon as you receive it, as this will trigger the process of registering you for your first-term courses. Without sending the letter, the team will not be able to proceed with your registration.

Note: For new incoming international students (starting the first term), your course registration can only be done wit the support of the International Advising team. You will not be able to register online by yourself. Be sure to email a copy of your POE Letter of Introduction to the International Advising Team as soon as you receive it.

Study permit delays & refusals

If your study permit is denied or there is a delay in processing, you must inform CMTN on what to do with your application. 

Study Permit Refusals

Study Permit Delays

  • You may request a full refund on your deposit, less an administration processing fee.
  • Refund requests will be administered to the origin of payment, and no cheques will be issued.
  • Applicants are required to complete the Refund or Program Deferral form and email this along with the IRCC Rejection Letter to

  • If your permit or travel is delayed, you may choose to defer your application to the next term or intake and your deposit will be held. International students may defer up to three (3) academic terms (the equivalent of one [1] calendar year). Students must notify the college before the beginning of class.
  • Refer to Page 3 of the Refund or Program Deferral form to learn how to submit a deferral request correctly. Email the completed form to
  • Deferrals are subject to program availability and require approval from the Dean and Registrar’s Office.
  • If official documentation is not provided within four (4) months of the program start date the deposit is forfeited, and no deferral or refund will be available. 


If you wish to either refund or defer, please ensure you read carefully the CMTN Procedures for Payment and Refund Policy.


Additional resources

  • Consider applying for a US Visitor Visa while in your home country if you are thinking about travelling to the United States of America during your studies.
  • Explore how to stay in Canada following your program with a Post-Graduation Work Permit.